Karen & Steve Flores



March 2006


Tubal ligation


Tubal reversal

Mar 4, 2006


Pregnancy #1

It's a boy! 2/07/07


3-4 cm  each side




Benjamin Peirino Flores

was born healthy on February 7, 2007 6lb 15 oz and 19 inches long. thank you all so much.

Karen and Steve Flores


October 2006

We had an amniocentesis on September 6, 2006 and the baby is perfect!  It’s a boy and we couldn’t be more excited.

Karen & Steve Flores

July 2006

Karen and Steve Flores

Reversal Date – March 4, 2006

Apparently waiting until the wedding was a good idea. It appears we got pregnant on our honeymoon. My period was late in June so I went to my OB and had a test…..BFP. I went to my first doctor appointment on July 11, 2006 and he confirmed we are expecting a baby.

Everything is perfect and the baby is in the right location. Our due date is February 15, 2007. We’ll keep you updated. Thank you very much for everything.

Karen (Dickson) Flores

April 2006

The testimonies from everyone that has posted meant so much to me before we made the final decision about tubal reversal. They helped answer several of my questions, as well as ease my anxiety about going to Mexico.  Rio Bravo, the physicians and staff went far beyond my greatest expectations!! I hope that my testimony will be helpful to someone else.

My journey began several months ago. My name is Karen, I am 41 years old and getting married May 27th. I have three children (24, 19 and 13) from a previous marriage at a very young age. My fiancé, Steve, is 26 and has one child of his own (6). He and I longed to have a child together, so we started looking into a reversal. In my initial search several doctors came up all across the country, as well as, Dr. Perez in Mexico. The cost difference was staggering. Like many, Steve and I were leery because it was in Mexico. After more research on this site, as well as others we decided to make the call. Steve called and talked to Dr. Levi and scheduled the reversal for March 4. We decided on this date to allow for a full recovery before our wedding.

We left our house at 5:30 am on March 3rd to get to LAX for an 11:45 flight. The morning rush hour traffic was horrendous. We flew from LA to Houston to McAllen. Needless to mention all flight times were delayed so we were running from gate to gate. We had arranged for Marcos to meet us at McAllen at 7pm, our flight didn’t get in until 7:50, he waited!  He was so friendly and eager to answer any and all of our questions. He drove us around Rio Bravo and showed us some places to eat. He also helped us fill out the paperwork as soon as we arrived. I was taken down the hall to Room #1. The main room had the hospital bed, as well as, a cot for Steve and a tv/vcr combo. The next area was a sitting area, with two chairs, a loveseat and a table. The nurses brought blankets and towels for Steve. By this time it was about 9 pm Marcos told me that I would have my surgery first thing on Saturday morning so if I wanted to eat I had better hurry. So, Steve and I took the opportunity to get out and walk around a little while. The area around the hospital is very nice and quiet.

The next morning a nurse came in about 6 am to give me a gown, I asked if I could take a quick shower first, she said she would be back in a few minutes. She came back to take blood and start the IV, she was so gentle. About 20 minutes later she took me down to the operating room. Steve was told he needed to wait there for his scrubs. As soon as I got into the operating room I immediately looked for the cross and there it was right above the door. I lay down on the table and Dr. Moreno administered the “sleepy” medicine in my IV. The next thing I remember is seeing Steve standing by the doctors. He came over and I asked if he was doing my surgery. I don’t remember anything after that but Steve said I was talking quite a bit (yipes!). Dr. Levi said everything looked great and I was left with 3-4 cm on each side. He still gave us a 50-60% chance of getting pregnant.

I slept most of the day. When I woke up I wasn’t in much pain. Dr Levi came in later to go over everything. The nursing staff was wonderful. They were all so sweet and caring. Each one seemed to go out of her way to make certain that we had everything we needed and that I was comfortable. I got the IV and catheter out Sunday Morning and was able to take a shower.

Marcos arrived around noon on Sunday to take us back to the airport. I would definitely recommend having Marcos take you to and from the airport. Walking was a little slow but not painful. We had more drama with flights running late and rushing to catch the next one. We got home about 11:30 on Sunday night, I was pooped. The pain was only bad when trying to get up from either sitting/laying position. That lasted for me for the 1st week. After that I didn't need help getting up anymore. Stitches came out on day 9, Steve took them out. No infections, everything is healing quite well. I still have some swelling on the inside along the incision site, but no pain.

FOR ME: By the end of the 1st week at about 50% recovery. The 2nd week a little tender but not much pain. I went back to work at 16 days and notice a bit of swelling by the end of the day. By 2.5 weeks much better, feel I’m almost 100% already as far as any pain or discomfort. My period started right on schedule 2 weeks after the surgery.

This was such a wonderful experience. The physicians and staff are definitely a blessing to so many. Right now Steve and I are simply waiting until our wedding night to start trying to conceive. We decided that since we’ve lived together for almost 2 years it would make it memorable. In looking at a fertility planning calendar I should be ovulating on that day. We put our future in God’s hands as to whether He chooses to bless us with a baby. We both feel that another addition is in our future. I will be certain to keep everyone informed.

Karen Dickson Flores
TL 1995
TR 03/04/06


back to stories