Amanda Coers

Stats Stories and Updates Photos / Babies


Surgery Date 3/27/10
Ligation 10/25/00
Tube length  L 7.5 R 7.5
Pregnancy 1 edd
Pregnancy 2  





Nov 2010

I wanted to send an email with the wonderful news that we are expecting! I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and due around May 7th. We're so excited. Thank you again to Dr. Levi and Dr. Perez and the wonderful nurses and staff!

I've attached some early ultrasound pictures. :) We can't wait to meet our first TR miracle baby!

Mar 2010

MY STORY:  I just can't believe I'm actually typing this! 

For the past four years, we’ve been looking at Dr. Perez’s site and making plans. Every year, something came up and the money we had set aside for the surgery would have to go to something else. It was heartbreaking at times. But I believe we were on a timeline set by our Heavenly Father and it has worked out perfectly according to His will.

Ten years ago, after my youngest daughter, Vivian, was born I made the decision to have a tubal ligation. At the time I was very young, only 21 years old and I already had three children. I was in an abusive relationship and I was worried about having more children. I was scared I couldn’t take care of them, or provide for them. So, even though my doctor tried to convince me to make a different choice, I insisted that I be sterilized.  I can say without a doubt that if I could change one thing in my life, I would NEVER have made that decision. I’ve made a lot of mistakes, but that was by far, the worst one. God has blessed me with a special heart for children and a joy in motherhood. I was wrong to end that part of my life.

Over the course of the last ten years, God has brought me through some very tough struggles as a single parent and five years ago He blessed me with the most wonderful husband and a new realization of the person He wants me to be. About two years into our marriage, during worship service at church, I cried out to God to change me. I begged Him to use me, show me where to go, show me how to conduct my life. I wept as I cried out for His guidance. And I felt His peace wash over me.  You see, even though I wanted to have more children – God knew I wasn’t quite ready. I believe this spiritual process of healing was necessary in order to prepare me for my reversal surgery.  Isn’t God amazing?

This past January, we found out we would be getting back a large enough return to FINALLY have the reversal surgery. I can’t tell you how overjoyed I was. We held our breath every day until the money was deposited in the bank. We then started the process of filing for our passports. My husband already had a passport, but his was expired. I needed to file for the first time. We sent off our applications separately, but on the same day. They were both received on the same day and the two checks we sent were cashed the same day. But I got my passport back in 9 days and my husband’s has not come in yet. 

Luckily, my husband’s grandfather’s wife, Tiko, is actually from Mexico and she travels over there all the time. Both Tiko, and Scott’s grandfather (Giddy) have passports. So I went ahead and scheduled my surgery for the 27th of March, thinking that if Scott’s passport wasn’t in by then, I could still go with Giddy and Tiko.  We drove down south and dropped our children off in Corpus Christi to visit my parents and grandparents. They had a wonderful weekend playing on the beach and having fun.  Scott and I drove to Pharr, where his grandfather lives. We found out that Tiko asked the officials at the border if Scott could show some other kind of ID to get across and they said if he had proof that he applied for his passport, his birth certificate and his driver’s license, he could travel across without any trouble. Scott was really glad to hear that because he wanted to be with me during my surgery. 

We crossed without any problems. I didn’t know what to expect with all the scary news stories going around about the violence with the drug wars in Mexico. There were a lot of Border Patrol agents, some soldiers and police officers patrolling the streets – but it really was uneventful. We’re so thankful that we had so many people praying for our safety. We had nothing to worry about. God was watching over us. We did have a little bit of trouble finding the hospital. We wrote down the directions, but the street signs were rusted and it was really difficult to tell where the city blocks ended. Luckily, Tiko speaks Spanish and we were able to ask for directions. I highly recommend using the shuttle service. We were blessed to be riding with Tiko and I don’t know how we would have found the hospital without her. Please use the shuttle service.

The reception area was absolutely charming! It was beautifully decorated with citrus colors and black accents. I wish I would have taken a picture – because I really loved it. We walked down the hall and checked in. The paperwork was in Spanish, so Tiko told me what to write and where to sign my name. And then we went to our room. The hospital is very nice and clean.  Really, it’s just like the hospitals here in the United States – except the staff and doctors in Mexico are SO MUCH NICER!  After a little while, Dr. Levi came in to talk to us. He was so wonderful. He sat right down and talked to us for over an hour. I don’t think I’ve talked to any doctor for more than 20 minutes. I was so amazed that he was willing to answer every possible question we could have. There was no rush and I really appreciated all the information he gave us. He was so funny and it was easy to relax around him. My husband really liked him a lot.   That night, Tiko went out to one of the restaurants and brought back some amazing food! I tell you what – the food down there is just wonderful! We loved it.

The next morning, they woke us up pretty early – around 5:30 a.m. to put in my IV and draw some blood. Around 6:45, the cafeteria lady came in to give Scott some pancakes and Dr. Levi came in to give Scott some scrubs to wear. A nurse came in to put on my surgical booties and she covered my hair with a cap. Then I hopped into a wheel chair and went to the operating room.  Dr. Perez was there and I was able to say a brief hello. He seemed really nice – but we didn’t talk very much. They put in the epidural and I did go to sleep for a little bit. I woke up halfway through the surgery and I said some silly things because I was a little dopey. I told Scott we should name our son “Roberto” in honor of Dr. Perez and I said he was a great man like five times. So that’s a little embarrassing.  The surgery took about an hour. Dr. Levi worked on one tube and Dr. Perez worked on the other tube. I lost about 80 ccs of blood, which is hardly any! It really was a very successful surgery. They certainly know what they’re doing. After it was all over – I found out I have 7 to 8 cm on both sides! Dr. Levi told us we shouldn’t have any trouble at all getting pregnant!

My entire experience was wonderful. The doctors and nurses were really very nice. The hospital was clean and quiet. The food was terrific. And our journey was very safe.  Today I’m a little sore, like I did about 100 sit ups. But I’m able to move around slowly and my family is taking care of me.  We praise God for keeping us safe and blessing us. And we’re so pleased with Dr. Levi and Dr. Perez and the hospital in Rio Bravo!

Amanda Coers


back to stories